INSTITUTE OF ADMINISTRATIVE STUDIES
Founded in l981 in memory of an honest & sincere teacher Late Baidya Nath Prasad on his first death anniversary coinciding with Centenary of Indian Factories Act, 1881, the first law providing for social justice to factory workers by the then British colonist Govt, Institute of Administrative Studies was the first autonomous Non-Govt. Self-Financing Institution in the state of Bihar which offered for the first time two Post Graduate courses : (1) One Year Diploma in Industrial Safety Management and (2) 2-Year Labour Administration & Personnel Management to cater to the requirements of the two statutory cadres under Factories Law.
The Veteran subject teacher having Triple Master Degrees in Labour & Social Welfare, Public Administration as well as in Business Management : T.N. Chaudhary succeeded in associating local Academicians, Businessman, Industrialists & Social Workers in setting up this Institute which got registered under Societies Regn. Act 1860 and also recognised by State Govt. of Bihar in 1987. It was later recognised under AICTE Act, 1987 through AICTE (Minsitry of HRD, Govt of India) which approved its PGDM (Post Graduate Diploma in Management) 2 Year Course in August 1995 that was later declared equivalent to MBA (Master of Business Administration). The Institute also got AICTE-approved One Year PDCIS (Post Diploma Course in Industrial Safety) Course through DGFASLI (Director General of Factory Advice Service & Labour Institutes, Ministry of Labour & Employment, Govt of India) situated at Mumbai. DGFASLI is the pattern-setting and Factories Law-modeling organ with the Chief Inspector of Factories of the Central Govt. All passed out students from this Institute are placed properly in large & reputed industrial organizations all over the country.
The First President of this Institute was Late PADMA-SHREE Dukhan Ram, Ex- Vice Chancellor of Bihar University celebrated eye-specialist & Honorary Medical Advisor to first President of India Dr. Rajendra Prasad while the First Vice-President was PADMA-VIBHUSHAN Dr. Raja Ram Shastri, Member of First National Commission on Labour & Ex – Vice Chancellor of Kashi Vidyapeeth. Another Ex – Vice Chancellor of Patna University Labour Economist Dr. G.P. Sinha was First Chairman of Institute’s Academic Council followed by another Ex- Vice chancellor of Patna University and Economist Dr. Kedar Nath Prasad, member of Bihar Planning Commission.
Its Executive Council comprised of MPs, MLAs who later held highest offices of Governor, Minister, President of Chamber of Commerce & Industries, Regional Industrial Development Authorities etc. (vide the appended “Looking Back : 1981- 2010” in Institute’s Information Bulletin Vol – XI)
The Institute has 2 Acres Wide Campus at the junction of three districts (viz. Muzaffarpur, Sheohar & Sitamarhi) at Jamalabad, Muzaffarpur, while its Regd. Office is situated beside North Bihar Chamber of Commerce, Saraiyaganj-Jawaharlal Road, Muzaffarpur town.
The structure of Institute consists of (a) General Body ; (b) Governing Body; (c) Executive Council and its (d) Secretariat with Rajni Ranjan Sahu Centre for Business Administration, the Academic Centre named after its Present President Sri R.R, Sahu, Ex-MP (Rajya Sabha) and formerly Chairman of BSCICL (Bihar State Credit & Investment Corporation Ltd.), Member of Indian
Delegation to UN Assembly, 1991 who held several important assignments in Govt. of India as Parliamentarian.
The institute celebrated it Silver jubilee in 2006 at Muzaffarpur and is presently functioning under guidance and supervision of Dr. T.N. Chaudhary as its Chairman.